Saffron Spanish Paella
The Most Popular & National Dish of Spain
No wonder, Spain is famously known for Paella. A delicious dish of saffron-flavored rice cooked with seafood, meats and vegetables. Commonly, made with rice, saffron and a combination of seafood cooked, win, meats, chicken and vegetables which traditionally served in just one pan. The most popular types of paella including chicken paella, seafood paella and mixed paella (combination of seafood, meats and vegetables).
Steps to make this especial recipe by the method of Sun’s Secret Kitchen
- STEP 1:
First, add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Then, add the onion, bell peppers and garlic, cook until onion is translucent.
Next, add chopped tomato, bay leaf, paprika, saffron salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- STEP 2:
At this stage, add white wine and cook for 10 minutes. add salt if needed.
- STEP 3:
Add chicken pieces, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and rice to the pot. Cook for 1 minute.
- STEP 4:
After that, pour the broth slowly all around the pan and jiggle the pan to get the rice into an even layer.
- STEP 5:
Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Give the pan a gentle shake back and forth during cooking (just once or twice).
- STEP 6:
Cook for about 15 -18 minutes (uncovered), then nestle the shrimp, mussels and calamari into the mixture, sprinkle peas on top and continue to cook (without stirring) for about 5 more minutes.
Watch for most of the liquid to be absorbed and the rice at the top nearly tender. Note that, if for your rice is still not cooked, add 1/4 cup more water or broth and continue cooking.
Remove pan from heat and cover pan with a lid or tinfoil. Place a kitchen towel over the lid and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Garnish with green & freshly parsley and lemon slices.
Serve over rice & Enjoy it! …
Saffron is one of the most important & special ingredient in this unique & delicious recipe which will dazzle you. So it’s best to buy & use high quality. If your grocery store doesn’t carry it, we suggest to try our International food market in Sun’s Secret Website.
You can buy super grade Sun’s Secret saffron here.
Cooking Notes & Tips:
- Note 1: Spanish rice is traditional in Paella that you can substitute medium grain rice or also use pork, turkey, rabbit, chorizo or a combination.
- Note 2: If you don’t like seafood, leave it out and substitute more chicken or vegetables. You can use any combination of your favorite seafood including clams, scallops and chopped pieces of fish.
- Note 3: Authentic paella would include making your own fish stock from the discard shells of seafood. You can also substitute chicken broth for convenience.
- Note 4: For Substitute chorizo, add 1 chorizo sausage cut into ½ inch discs. Brown the sausage in hot oil as step one in the recipe. Then set it aside as you sauté the vegetables. Add chorizo back to the pan in step 3 of the recipe, before boiling.
- Note 5: For vegetarian paella, omit the meat and seafood and add extra vegetables, like artichoke, green beans, mushroom, olives and asparagus.
- Note 6: Valencia Paella recipe. This unique version of paella is usually made with rabbit, chicken, artichokes and green bean.