Shole Zard: Persian Saffron Rice Pudding
‘You Deserve a Delicious Dessert on Your Plate ‘
It is commonly served as dessert, its golden color come from saffron and traditionally garnished with ground cinnamon and slivered pistachios or almonds.
Commonly, Iranian people cook “Sholeh Zard” in a large quantities and share it with their friends and neighbors on certain religious holidays. Because of the saffron, “Shole Zard “can be a mood and energy booster and is high on nutritional values.
Steps to make this especial recipe by the method of Sun’s Secret Kitchen
- STEP 1:
At first, in a bowl, soak your rice in the water for several hours and then put it on medium heat and let it bake until it gets mushy & soft.
- STEP 2:
Next, bring 6 to 7 cups of water to a hard boil in a pot over high heat. Next, add the rice and let it boil, stirring until the grains begin to soften but if are still crunchy in the center, please continue for 1 to 2 minutes.
- STEP 3:
Then, add sugar and keep on medium-low heat.
- STEP 4:
After that, add bloomed Sun’s Secret saffron and butter. Stir frequently so the bottom parts won’t burn. You also can add cardamom at this step, of course if you desire.
- STEP 5:
At this time, add water if you feel the Shole Zard “is very thick or even you can let the excess water vaporize if it’s too watery.
- STEP 6:
When the thickness of dessert is as you desire, at this stage, add rosewater and keep it on heat for 1-2 minutes. You can also add sliced soaked almonds or pistachio at this time if you like.
- STEP 7:
Finally, remove from heat. Then, pour into your serving dish and garnish with some cinnamon and nuts such as sliced pistachios and almonds, coconut powder, according to your favorite.
Serve & Enjoy it! …
Saffron is one of the most important & special ingredient in this unique & delicious recipe which will dazzle you. So it’s best to buy & use high quality. If your grocery store doesn’t carry it, we suggest to try our International food market in Sun’s Secret Website.
You can buy super grade Sun’s Secret Saffron here.
Cooking Notes & Tips:
- Note 1: The dessert could be served either warm or cold (According to your preference).
- Note 2: If you are using whole grains instead of broken rice, it needs more water to turn into the mushy form.
- Note 3: Make sure the rice is completely baked before adding the sugar, as sugar can slow the baking process.
- Note 4: You can have almond slices or pistachio inside the pudding. For this, add soaked slices of almond at the same time as adding the rosewater.
- Note 5: Cardamom is also an optional choice. You can add powdered cardamom at the same time you add the Sun’s Secret Saffron.